As we continue our Influencer Interview series, today’s spotlight is on Mikayla Hunt — the Editor-in-Chief of her own online publication which she started in high school as a blog and has now developed it years later with hiring staff, and even having her work published in Poosh, GVLtoday, Sheen Magazine and more. We dove into a few questions to get to know Hunt better beyond the screen and some advice she’d give her younger self plus much more.
Aside from social media and online work, Mikayla gives us a hobby of hers that some people may not know about her, her vision for herself, her life, and her future, Scroll on the for the full conversation and if you’d like to connect with her on her social channels towards the end of our interview, keep reading.
Head over to our Instagram @glamourandguide and let us know your favorite piece from this interview and who you’d like to see next!
- Can you tell us a little bit about yourself? (Where you’re from, your hobbies, career, etc.)
M: I’m from South Carolina. I grew up in a (at the time) really small town. I’m 23 and I’ve been writing since I was 14. I took a gap year before college, but ended up jumping right into my career. I’m currently editor and chief of my own online publication and I do influencer work as well as social media management for different brands. I also started doing concert photography about five years ago.
- Since our blog is called Glamour and Guide, what is your favorite beauty secret or go-to beauty brands — whether it’s clothes, jewelry, makeup, skincare, etc.?
M: As of late I’ve been OBSESSED with rings. I’ve been working on using more jewelry to piece together my outfits. It’s one of my favorite ways to express myself.
- Tell us about PopGabble, how you started, the initial idea you had into making it a reality, and more!
M: I started PopGabble as a blog in high school, and once it started generating income I hired on staff and turned it into an online publication by the time I was 19. I had a hard time expressing myself when I wasn’t writing, and school was rough. I never really felt comfortable being able to truly be myself and focus on what I was passionate about. I felt lost, like I didn’t have my own identity. Over time my site started getting thousands of views a day, and I started venturing into things like concert photography/event coverage and exclusive celebrity interviews.
- What is your favorite thing you’ve accomplished on PopGabble or content that you’ve produced? Why did you choose this?
M: I’m most proud of “The Mental Health Issue”. I have some friends in the industry, and we were all able to discuss the very real effects of mental health. Lexi Rabe (Avengers: Endgame), Jake Austin Walker (Stargirl), Sam Humphrey (The Greatest Showman), and Maya J (Artist). I really wanted to emphasize how alike we all are, because anxiety/depression are not exclusive. We are truly all in this together. We all struggle, some more than others, and I’m so glad they allowed me to share their stories.
- How would you describe your style in three words? Is there an outfit or an item from your closet that you always find yourself grabbing every week?
M: Versatile, urban, and minimalistic. As of late I’ve been grabbing my oversized blazer, it literally goes with any outfit!
- What made you choose to be a contributing author at Poosh? How did you land this role?
M: I met the editor and chief online and I ran some pitches by her. She ended up loving them and shortly after, I became a regular contributing author! I’d been reading Poosh for a really long time, but I’d never imagined I’d be published. Getting to tell Kourtney K. how much she inspires me was the coolest, most amazing moment.
- What is your most memorable moment in the industry you’re in right now? Whether it’s been an event, meeting new people, a brand you’ve worked with, etc.?
M: I just got back from New York Fashion Week not too long ago and it was probably the highlight of my career. I partnered up with Teen Vogue, and met the most incredible designers. I connected with so many creatives, and ultimately ended up falling in love with the city all over again.
- Is there a character from any movie or show that you’d love to meet? Why this person?
M: Jim (John Krasinski) from The Office. Do I even need to elaborate LOL.
- What advice would you give your younger self to listen to? Why did you choose this?
M: Don’t be afraid to be yourself. I spent so much time trying to fit in with everyone around me, but ultimately I wish I could’ve reminded myself that our differences are what make us unique.
- How do you find motivation and inspiration for your work and your life?
M: I love Emma Chamberlin’s podcast Anything Goes. I also do about 15-20 minutes of bible reading a day, especially if I’m having a rough week. Keeping good people and good energy close creates a positive space.
- Aside from social media and posting content, what are some of your favorite hobbies? Is there a secret talent or anything people may not know about you?
M: My parents put my little brother and I into music young, so I’m classically trained in three different instruments- violin, piano, and guitar. I’m currently teaching myself how to play the Ukulele!
- What is your vision for yourself, your life, and your future?
M: In the next couple years I see myself traveling more and definitely living in a new city. I want to wake up every morning feeling excited about life. Workwise, I see myself doing more projects that help and benefit others- especially when it comes to mental health.
All images are from @_mikaylahunt_