Meet Stephanie Hui — the beauty content creator and influencer that is not your average girl next door. Being born and raised in Hong Kong, visiting extended family in Toronto, and then going to school in NYU, Hui has blossomed on social media and has landed once in a lifetime opportunities. As a full time creator, every day is different for Stephanie and while she is still new to the social media industry, she is fully equipped to give you the best beauty advice and tips on her Tiktok!
If you’re looking to learn more about Stephanie, her most memorable moments in the industry (including meeting Selena Gomez!!), finding motivation for her work and life, her hobbies aside from posting online and creating content, plus much more then keep reading. Stay tuned for what Hui will continue to accomplish in the future and follow her on her social media!
Head over to our Instagram @glamourandguide and let us know your favorite piece from this interview and who you’d like to see next!
- Can you tell us a little bit about yourself? (Where you’re from, your hobbies, career, etc.)
- S: I was born and raised in Hong Kong! I also grew up going to Toronto in the summers to visit my extended family! I went to a Canadian International School in Hong Kong and later on went to NYU to study Film (major), Business (minor) and Child & Adolescent Mental Health (minor). I was working on my career in becoming a Film director / producer when I blew up on TikTok. I then began making and posting content everyday, quit my film job, and TikTok has become my full time job ever since!
- Since our blog is called Glamour and Guide, what is your favorite beauty secret or go-to beauty brands — whether it’s clothes, jewelry, makeup, skincare, etc.?
- S: My go-to beauty brands are Rare Beauty, Fenty Beauty, Charlotte Tilbury and Kosas. My go to skincare brands are Paula’s Choice and The Ordinary. Favorite beauty secret: Put some brightening powder right below your winged liner to give yourself that extra lifted look! Also, put brown pencil liner on the bottom lash line, near the inner corner, and it will give you that subtle foxy eye look.
- What is your most memorable moment in the industry you’re in right now? Whether it’s been an event, meeting new people, a brand you’ve worked with, etc.?
- S: I’m still quite new to this industry having only been in the creator space for a year so every opportunity and event I’ve participated in has been so surreal and mind blowing to me. Doing the Google + Samsung campaign with Addison Rae was definitely one of my biggest career highlights to date. When I got the call for the campaign, I was on my last day of hotel quarantine in Hong Kong and I went straight home to repack and went back to the airport to fly to LA the same night!
- S: Another memorable moment was meeting Selena Gomez at the Rare Beauty Event. I grew up watching and idolizing her so it was such a surreal, full circle moment! Growing up following and watching American Pop Culture on my screens to now, suddenly being surrounded by this world is something I’m still trying to wrap my head around.
- How do you find motivation and inspiration for your work and your life?
- S: Watching other content creators is my favorite way to learn and improve my content! I feel so motivated and inspired watching other creators connect with their viewers! Going offline for a bit, focusing on real life and taking in other forms of art (movies, museums, painting, nail art) also helps to ground me and find new inspiration for my work. A big source of my motivation comes from the fact that I work for myself because I have no one to answer to and therefore, my career and my future solely is dependent on how hard I work and how much effort I put into my job.
- What advice would you give your younger self to listen to? Why did you choose this?
- S: There’s no time like now to get started on doing what you really want to do. Don’t let your self doubt and judgment from others delay you from working towards your goals. Especially with content creation, there’s no point in waiting for the right circumstance to start creating or the perfect video to start posting. Just pick up your phone and start filming!
- Aside from social media and posting content, what are some of your favorite hobbies? Is there a secret talent or anything people may not know about you?
- S: I love to dance! I’ve been dancing since I was 4 years old, taking ballet classes, jazz, contemporary and hip hop classes. I just love to perform on stage! The adrenaline and excitement it gives me is like no other (I used to do theatre and act in musicals as well). I also love to eat (yes it’s a hobby). A good meal is always the highlight of my day and it’s my favorite way to spend time with my loved ones! I don’t have much time to do this now but I love to do my own nails, extensions, nail art, etc. – the whole thing! It feels so therapeutic to do my own nails but it takes me way too much time to finish a set since I’m not a professional…hence I go to a salon now!
- What is your vision for yourself, your life, and your future?
- S: Entrepreneurship is my goal. I would like to build a company or brand, bigger than myself. I would love to branch out to different mediums in this space to share and connect with my audience!
- How do you handle your more stressful days? What tips have personally helped you manage and balance your personal life, self-care, and work?
- S: Whenever I feel overwhelmed and stressed, I like to write every task out and plan out the order in which I’m gonna tackle them. I’m a visual learner so it always helps to see everything laid out in a scheduled calendar. I like to get the more simple and quick tasks out of the way first so it feels more productive. That always motivates me to get the harder tasks done too!
- Is there a movie or show you’ve been obsessing over lately?
- S: I recently started Watchmen and it’s sooo good!! I’ve also been rewatching Criminal Minds which is one of my favs!